Skip to main content

Happiness is..

Lazy weekend afternoon. It's 45°C outside. I cant do anything but to sit tight inside my room and waste some hours. Just when I realize I should pick on my dead blog this summer as no adventure is waiting for me in this steamy hot weather. Umm.. so here I go.

---------------------------------x-------------------------------x----------------------------

Few days ago I was in a nearby restaurant having my dinner. A family of four took their entrance. The couple in their mid-30s and two daughters. They seem very subtle to me in first glance. Nobody was wearing nothing fancy. And they all were happy. They weren't smiling but you could tell by reading their face or the composure that they were one happy family.

Manager's cabin was a few steps away from my table. After ordering from menu (each member went through with the list and ordered the cuisin of their choice), the husband, or let just continue with the word father, got up and marched towards the manager's cabin. Soon after, I was listening to their conversation. Not intentionally but something forced me to do so.

The conversation is almost as it went.

Father : Good evening sir. May I have a minutes of yours, or two?
Manager : Oh sure. Is it something about our services? Sorry for the inconvenience but we are short on staff today.
Father : No no. Not that. It's just I'm new to this city. And looking for an accommodation for my family.
Manager : Ah! I see. Sit down please. Where are you from again?
Father : Myself Manoj. I'm from Kashipur.
Manager : So you got tranferred here, right? In which deptt. do you work?
Father : Yes sir, I just got transferred here. And im no public servant. I'm a supervisor in a metal export company. The firm I was working for was shut down due to some reason. Luckily my employer asked me to join their other firm, the one in this city.

(May be it was his good character, behaviour or reputation that earned him the reward to remain employed)

Manager : Well, you must be aware how hard it is to get an accommodation for someone who is from private sector in our city.

(Well, I'm an govt. employee. Even I had to search nooks and crannies to hide my face in this city. -.-)

Father : Yes sir, I did the background check. That's why I'm asking you for the favour. My family is well behaved. We won't do anything that would disturb the owner or neighbours in any way. Any help would be appreciated.

(Watching those lil kiddies tapping the table and singing, I surely would have assured anybody on my behalf that he is a good man)

Manager (in a lower voice) : Appreciation won't do here, dear friend. Better we talk about the commission.
Father (after a short pause) : I thought....

(the voice was lost in the clattering of serving plates at adjacent table)

Manager : Your wish. If you want the help.
Father : Umm.. Alright. So what will be the commission here?
Manager : 50% of your monthly rent.
Father : Each month? (there was a surprise in his voice)
Manager : Hahahaha. Noooo. It's one time payment only.
Father : Oh. Ok.
Manager : But wait. You didn't tell me in what range should I get you the roof?
Father : Well we are on budget. This city is new to us. We have to arrange things.....
Manager : I know. I know. Tell me what can you afford?
Father : 3K to 3.5K
Manager : What? Well you are not gonna get your stay in that range. What is your salary if I can ask?
Father : 20K (there was a pride in his voice)
(Father continued) I just got a hike of 3K from the owner of the firm himself.

(Didn't I tell you this man was surely at good terms with his employer? ^…^)

Manager : Ah. I see. Well, I can't help you here than. Sorry.
Father : Not a problem, sir. Thanks for you time.
(You could have sensed the gratitude in his voice)

The father returned to his table where his family was enjoying their meal. The younger kiddy,aged between 5-6 years, offered her chow-chow to the father. But the father denied with a smile. Then the elder daughter, between 7-9 years of her life, asked his father to have a bite from her burger, with a much braoder smile. Father was about to say 'no' but just before that, he already had his bite clinging out of his teeth.

Mother was also smiling in her corner of the table.

-------------------------------x-------------------------------x------------------------------

The whole incidence may be nothing to you. But it changed my perspective about happiness, at least for a while. After lot of calculations every other sleepless night, I have always concluded that my salary is not enough. Not enough to be happy. If i ever had a family at this stage (in a parallel universe where I'm all grown up) , I would prove myself worse of a father. But now I just have realized that to have a happy family you never need money, but a 'family'.

Comments

  1. Hmmm finally a update from one of my fav blogs !! Keep Writting buddy and welcome back :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

2 Corinthians 6:2

I will kill him tonight. A person who has never done any wrong. I will crush him quick, and drain him dry. He has longed for this day, and for so long. His sin was he loved, he cared. Now he will be thumped for this, and dazed. I tried to stall him, as for this, he was to be slayed. Salvation will be hurled upon him, as his arrogance always prevailed. Enacting the hangman, I will carry the death to him. But the sinner resides in my own soul, hence I will, solely, be the victim.

Have you ever been in love?

Have you ever been in love? The kind of love that lasted for years. The kind of love where you spent a lifetime together yet you didn't know each other. The kind of love where you knew about each-other's friends, family and everything else but you also knew that there is something missing in between you two. The kind of love in which you had so many questions in your head but no responses, and so much to respond but nobody to notice. The kind of love where you did everything one should do to keep the feelings in motion yet you stood still. The kind of love where there was a smile on your face but deep inside you were just a hollow-being. Have you ever been in love? The kind of love that didn't last longer than a summer. The kind of love that felt like a chilling breeze piercing through your heart, melting your brain like some fierce flare, outpouring your soul like a drizzle on your face. The kind of love where you wanted to surrender yourself to your better-half. No

Shayari bhool gaya hu main

लफ्ज़ों के सहारे अक्सर मुशायरे जीत लिया करते थे पर अब तो जैसे खंडहरों का बुत हो गया हूँ मैं, शायरी भूल गया हूँ मैं। यूँ तो हमने लोगों से हमेशा ही नज़रें चुराईं थी लेकिन दीदार-ए-दुनिया से नफरत का अब आलम और है घर से सिर्फ मस्ज़िद तक ही चहलकदमी हुआ करती थी पहले पर अब तो जैसे वो रास्ता भी भटक गया हूँ मैं, शायरी भूल गया हूँ मैं। बना के खुदा तुझे, खुद तेरे आगे नाचीज़ हो गया ये बोल के एक दिन खुदा से भी उलझ बैठा यूँ तो ज़िंदादिली इतनी थी के जहन्नुम में मुस्कुराते शायद पर अब तो जैसे साँसें भुलाने में मशगूल हो गया हूँ मैं, शायरी भूल गया हूँ मैं।